Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

My 1938 21 stud engine doesn’t appear to have an oil filter and I was wondering firstly where it is – if there even is one – and if not, do people think it would be a good idea?  If so, any idea where it would go?  I have a bypass filter which I could fit if needed.

It looks like one hose could be connected where the oil pressure gauge goes, but can’t find a anywhere to attach the other end – would it be down by the sump?

Tim Wilson
    Participant

My engine is also sans filter, Ben. I think there’s a mounting feature at the rear of the block on the nearside, where one could presumably fix a lead-off pipe to a more remotely mounted oil filter. I’ll be getting one when my engine goes for a camshaft change, early next year.

Tim.

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

There’s what looks like a hole by the pressure gauge where you could hook it up, but where would it return to after filtering the oil?  The sump?  I couldn’t find anywhere obvious.

I think for now I’ll just hold fire worrying about it, the engine hasn’t started for over 25 years and looking at the amount of rust that fell out of the metal radiator pipes when I removed them I have a feeling it might need a full recondition – eek!

Darell Allard
    Participant

Ben

Oil filters were an optional extra and they are of the bypass type. As long as you use a non detergent oil which take out all sorts of bits the engine should be ok. My M has not got a filter and has been fine for the 15000 miles.

Darell

Michael Knapman
    Participant

If a filter is fitted unless the block is modified it is only a partial filter. The modification to the oil passages turns it into a full flow filter (all the output from the pump is filtered).

DaveLoveys
    Participant

Ben. My P1 has always had a bypass type filter. It is mounted on the passenger side bulkhead and is piped from the other hole next to where the oil pressure gauge pipe is fitted, and is returned into the the pipe that runs down under the oil filler cap. I am going to the workshop tomorrow so will photograph it and send to you. Dave

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

Ahh that makes sense, and I think my oil filler has such a hose on the side too.  I will check, but that should be simple enough to fit.  A pic would be fab, thanks.

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

On the subject of oil…. what grade should I use?  Also, I asked about flushing the cooling system, but might it be wise to also flush out the oil before adding a load of new stuff?

Ron Dowle
    Participant

test

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.