Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello and Happy Easter to all…

I’m new to the club and new to Allard ownership (been intending to dive in for a couple of decades, as dad had a J2 in the late fifties).

I’ve just put a deposit down on the Red L Type (JUC 301) in the Spring edition of Tailwagger and it needs a few jobs straight away such as replacement of the water pumps, which are leaking.

It has the hood frame (and the front rail separately) but no hood or side screens. I imagine this is going to be relatively difficult to rectify without a pattern for the hood and no side screen frames.

Any advice or help or recommendations for trimmers would be much appreciated. I should point out that, whilst I recognise that the Allard is the type of car that really requires owner maintenance, I am not the handiest with a spanner and so will be on a very steep learning curve and so any mechanic recommendations this side of the Watford Gap will also be much appreciated (I’m in Cheshire).

Ben Stevens
    Keymaster

Hi Dominic,

I am also fairly new to the club / Allard ownership having bout my P special 2.5 years ago and also having relatively little mechanical experience.

I can’t help you with the hood question but I’m sure there are people on here who can, this forum is still slowly gaining momentum so give it time.

There is an online social Zoom call every two weeks on a Tuesday at 6pm so that’d be a good place to ask. I’m sure someone will be able to help you out.

Hopefully see you at an event soon,

Ben

david Moseley
    Participant

Hi Dominic Welcome to the club and hope you are getting to know your new car. I am seeing James Smith on Wednesday who also has an L and he may know someone who can help. David

Thanks Ben, I’ll try to make the next Zoom meeting and, yes, looking forward to getting to some events.

Cheers.

Dominic

Thanks David.

I’m having the car collected on Thursday so not got to grips with it yet. I don’t think it’s been used much over the years so I’ll need to do the usual recommissioning and take it gingerly (and local) at first.

I spoke to Aldridge Trimming (in Wolverhampton) today and they can make up the hood and side screens from photos they say (obviously with the car in their workshops) so it would be useful to get some decent photos of member’s L types weather gear on their cars (particularly the side screens and frames) and maybe some measurements of the frames etc. I think that might do it.

Dominic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.