454 XUP P1

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim WilsonTim Wilson
      Participant

That sounds great, Peter; l’ll look forward to seeing you, plus P1, at Dalemain. Altho my Special has significant elements of P1 about it, l’ve never actually sat in a saloon before, so it’ll be interesting to have a look at the windscreen mechanism. Cheers, Tim.

peter keenpeter keen
        Participant

Hi Ben and Tim, Ben, the catch is exactly the same, I’m afraid to pull it up in case I wreck it as doesn’t want to move.Tim, you could maybe look at it at Dalemain, I’ve sprinted and hillclimbed with Wigton and will be there with the Allard, usually Helen and I get the job of car parking, usually stopping fisticuffs breaking out between Morris Minor owners.The P1 really appreciates being used, and I’m convinced it’s running better the more it’s driven, and it stops people in their tracks, opinion divided, but never ignored.So looking forward to meeting on the 21st, cheers Peter

Ben StevensBen Stevens
          Keymaster

Mine just had a catch in the middle which lifted up (I think it was up) and the two hinges at the top.  Does yours look the same as the attached picture?  (ignore the fact that it’s a slightly smaller windscreen!!)

Tim WilsonTim Wilson
            Participant

Hello, Peter: glad to see you are getting out in the P1. Again, l’m afraid l can’t help with advice on specifics for your car, but l thought l’d let you know of a decent classic car show which is due to take place on Sunday, 21st August. It’s at Dalemain House, which is on the A591, just north of Ullswater. I’m not really one for these static events, but this one is run by one of the largest car clubs in the UK – Wigton Motor Club – which is v. active in motor sport. It starts around 10am. I’m going in the company of Northumbria TR Register, but plan to take my Allard Special. Let me know if you’re thinking of going. Best, Tim.

peter keenpeter keen
              Participant

I’ve put a few miles on 454,thoroughly enjoyed the experience,and I’d say the car has too,as it starts better,sounds great and under the bonnet visually looks better for being used.Could someone tell me how the windscreen opens? As a drive to the Lingholm Estate last Sunday was warm to say the least,regards Peter

Peter LovePeter Love
                Participant

Congratulations on your purchase of 454XUP it’s in very good condition – it was silver and red when first restored in Wales which the log book states. The tyres pressures need 28 rear 26 front. Yours Peter Love

peter keenpeter keen
                  Participant

Thanks Dave.

Dave LoveysDave Loveys
                    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Good evening Peter. Try darallallard@hotmail.com.uk  I assumed that darall spelt with an A, was a printing error in the year book I took the email address from. Best wishes. Dave.</p>

peter keenpeter keen
                      Participant

Well Tim, I’m the opposite, originally from the NE, came to Carlisle in the 70’s and whilst I now live in SW Scotland, Lochmaben my business is still in Carlisle.Still travel across to see family,and the Alston road is the usual choice at least one way, and will suit the P1 very well.I’ll up the tyre pressure a bit, as the P1 has been retrofitted with power steering it feels a bit light on the move,I have tried the email address for Darrell Allard but it bounces back, I’ll maybe try the works,regards Peter

Tim WilsonTim Wilson
                        Participant
                            <li style=”text-align: right;”>Congrats on buying this lovely P1, Peter. I can’t answer any of your questions other, perhaps, than the tyre pressures, which l would set at 30psi all round. But l would say that, as l put that same pressure in all of my old bangers… Good to see that you’re based in Carlisle, city of my birth (l’m a Geordie convert now, based in sunny Gateshead, but stll have contacts/family in and around Carlisle/Cumbria). Maybe establish a Northern chapter of the AOC, eh? 😀  lt’d defo be possible to meet up for a chat/tyre-kick at the top of Hartside Pass – the famed A686!   Tim.
                          peter keenpeter keen
                          Participant

Thanks Russell/ Dave, I’ll try Darrell.My seats are tubular steel, but much the same as yours, except steel zig zag springs welded across.I’d imagine my best effort would be to have a lower profile cushion made.We are off out in the Allard tomorrow,Fingers crossed,cheers Peter

Russell McCleaveRussell McCleave
                            Participant

Hello. My 1952 P1 has rubber webbing rivetted to the L-angle seat base frame.

Dave LoveysDave Loveys
                              Participant

Darell Allard was the last owner of that P1 to use it on the road. You have purchased an excellent car that I have been with on many Allard Owners Club runs covering many miles. I feel sure he is the best person to answer your questions.  His email address is, darellallard@hotmail.co.uk.

peter keenpeter keen
                                Participant

Hi,all,I recently bought my P1 from Pelham Reilly in Devon .It’s now in Carlisle, few jobs done , a few to do.I need to lower the seat height in some way.Presently the cushion is suspended by steel springs as found in a 70/80’s 3 piece suite.Is this the same with other P1’s ? Also it’s running 16 inch radial tyres, can anyone tell me what pressure should I be running them? The heater is not connected, there is a stoppered off take on the left hand top hose, is this for the heater? Then should I get a tap from the likes of O’Neill Model A Parts for the other offtake? Thanks for any advice Peter

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.