Hi David Glad to see you managed to remove the head,the carbon build up does not look to bad from the pictures. The best thing in my mind would be to do 1 piston at a time turn the engine so the piston your are doing is below the bore then put the grease around the bore then turn the engine so the piston is back at the top you can then lightly clean the piston (don't scrape it) I would use a little brake cleaner just to loosen the carbon then wipe of with a cloth.Then turn the engine so the piston is below the top of the bore and wipe the grease off making sure nothing falls into the bore,then repeat on the other cylinders. Rick.
Rick Newman
Participant

Hi David

Glad to see you managed to remove the head,the carbon build up does not look to bad from the pictures. The best thing in my mind would be to do 1 piston at a time turn the engine so the piston your are doing is below the bore then put the grease around the bore then turn the engine so the piston is back at the top you can then lightly clean the piston (don’t scrape it) I would use a little brake cleaner just to loosen the carbon then wipe of with a cloth.Then turn the engine so the piston is below the top of the bore and wipe the grease off making sure nothing falls into the bore,then repeat on the other cylinders.

Rick.